, ,

Easy Office Style Update

I have a hard time committing to a big project or taking big risks when it comes to decorating my office. When I’m in my office I’m working, not decorating.  I wanted to do something quick to change up the look.

I had been thinking about painting this bookshelf for many years, but because it’s made out of reclaimed wood, once I paint it, I can’t go back. I would love to put wall paper or paint just the back, but again it’s a risk with a meaningful piece. So, while I wait to muster the courage (and time) to change it, I decided to play with color and accessories.

With a little creativity I was able to transform my office style without paint, wallpaper or new furniture. Which do you prefer?blog-image_blue-desk blog-image_brown-desk

20 replies
  1. terri fowler
    terri fowler says:

I love it. I love the organization. I think painting would be a great idea to make it an accent piece. Everything in my office is black it is sooooo boring. I could see a rustic baby blue.

2. Melissa Montague
    Melissa Montague says:

I really like the first picture with the blue accent color. I think it makes all of the accessories pop. I also like that it’s a soft color and is calming for a work space environment. I have choose similiar colors to redue my office space and I think I will reference your picture when I’m in the final stages of decorating. Great job!!!

3. Anat Katz
    Anat Katz says:

Ooooh, so hard, but I prefer the top one with the light blue. It “wakes up the eyes”, and the contrast between the binders and the wood makes the easier to be shown in the dark (they don’t get “swallowed” in the background).

4. Erika
    Erika says:

As much as I love the second photo with the warm colours, my favourite is actually the first one with the blues. It just looks so fresh, bright, and cheery! For me, personally, this colour scheme would give me more motivation to get to work and enjoy what I’m doing!

I also think that the shelf looks very nice in the natural wood with the blues because hey, blue and brown compliment each other. If the shelf were white, it would look too crisp and cold. The wood shelf gives warmth to the cool blues.

5. Jane Miller
    Jane Miller says:

I definitely like the blue coastal look. The lighter look says you could have fun at this desk, not just work.

6. Louise West
    Louise West says:

I LOVE the turquoise version. My absolute favorite color! The mix of dark & light tones is fabulous! I also love the turquoise plant pots they are a great change up from usual terra cotta. Our whole house is in whites & silvers with mirror, crystal accents with touches of turquoise & black here & there. Thanks for all your creativity!
    — Louise

7. Mary Anne Morel
    Mary Anne Morel says:

Both collections are attractive and well balanced, so it is hard to choose between the two. The pastels offer a pretty spring-like look, and the stronger yellow-toned hues lend a casual, summery look to the second photo. You could turn your shelves into a seasonal gallery, with definite “looks” for each of the four seasons, adding miniature pumpkins and acorns for fall, dashes of red and glitter for winter, perhaps a glass bowl or two of tiny tulips for spring, and a miniature bucket and spade for summer beach fun. (The bucket could hold colorful pens or pencils.) The wooden shelving lends itself to almost any color scheme, and looks well on its own. Don’t paint.

8. Patty Gale
    Patty Gale says:

Very nice! I like both, but my favorite is the top one. The blue accessories help make it brighter, a bit more fun and cheery. The color helps the work-space pops just enough for that extra ‘something’ that makes it more appealing to me.

9. Patty Gale
    Patty Gale says:

10. Carol W.
    Carol W. says:

I love color (Teal) so my first choice would the first photo. However if your going for a more neutral theme, then the second would be better.

Beautiful make overs!! I craft, scrapbook, make cards and learning to sew but really must re-organize it all. Saving all extra cash to buy from See Jane Work to accomplish this. Getting excited!!!

11. Linda C.
    Linda C. says:

I love the blue! It gives a pop of color and stands out more than the orange. You don’t need paint or paper….looks great!

12. Morgan
    Morgan says:

Why don’t you create a colorful cork board covered by a pretty fabric, a magnetic board, or just cover poster board and fit in the back of the shelves? It’s no damage to the piece, but you can see how you like it with color. If you don’t like it, you can use another fabric, color, or remove it. Just an idea.

13. Lois
    Lois says:

You’re right about not painting the wood. Too permanent. Plus, the wood looks gorgeous!

Hey, your shelves are removable, right? Did you ever think of using double-sided tape to attach decorative paper to the back of the bookcase? Or cut a piece of thin board (masonite?) to fit the back of the bookcase (behind the shelves) and paint it.

I love both options!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!