I love the look of mounted butterflies, not sure why, it might be the 3D effect. The problem is I feel so sad for the butterflies—and it’s expensive.
I wanted butterfly art for my office so I had to find an alternative. I decided to make a butterfly mount out of paper butterflies. It looks great and no insects were harmed in the process. Here’s what I did.
Butterfly paper punch (from craft store)
Tape or adhesive (double-sided tape or acid free glue)
Shadow Box Frame
Matte board (cut to the size of the frame)
1. Punch out butterflies from the paper until you reach the number and assortment you like.
2. Arrange your butterflies on the matte board.
3. Once you like the layout, start folding some of the wings outward for a 3D effect.
4. Tape or glue each butterfly in place.
5. Place the matte board in the frame and admire your custom art!
Don’t worry an office to go with this art is coming soon.